Monday 14 October 2013

Evidence of music videos I admire/influenced by

RUBY:

Nicki Minaj - Pound the Alarm

The name of the song and the lyrics both do not have anything to do with the culture that is explored in the video. Funnily enough the only place that the lyrics mentions is Ibiza although the video is set in Trinidad. 

Minaj has used this upbeat song to make it go with the upbeat nature of the Trinidadian carnival. The dancing and the view of the people having a good time brings about a happy message from the exciting song

Minaj pays a tribute to her culture from the off start of the song as it starts with a steelpan version of the song, the dancers are in Trinidadian carnival attire. Minaj preforms with Tribagonian artists: Machel Montano, Bunji Garlin and Fay-Ann Lyons. Whilst wearing a Trinidadian flag designed bandana around her mouth she stands with her Trinidadian cousins.

This song topped the US Hot Dance Club Songs as well as peaking at number 15 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and at number 14 on the US Pop Songs. 


Black Eyed Peas - Where is the love

This song is very influential on its own but when it is combined with the video, the visuals help shape the message that is trying to be conveyed. The lyrics are very strong and pull on people's heart strings in the hope that they will think through their actions before following through with them.

Serious issues such as murders, terrorism, racism and war are covered within this song. 
These are covered by these lyrics: 'we try to stop terrorism but we still got terrorists here living'
- 'if you only have love for your own race then you only leave space to discriminate'
- 'nations droppin' bombs chemical gasses fillin' lungs of little ones'

This is a more interesting way to address the issues as the younger generation are more likely to listen to music rather than watch the news. The music has incorporated the news to make more people listen, it seems to target young people due to the rapping nature of the song. 

The song became the biggest selling single of 2003 and the 25th best-selling single of the 2000s in the UK.



AMIE:

To ensure my music video would appear authentic among professional videos within the industry I have spent plenty of hours looking at music videos through Youtube and iTunes  I have now collected an array of influential ideas. This has allowed me develop my own stylistic tastes. Some of the intriguing music videos that I have found have all had components which have really caught my eye and I have discussed a few below. I found that many music videos despite aiming to be individual and creating its own sense of style all have similar techniques behind them for example the use of extreme close up's to highlight expression. Many ideas that I have come up with have been influenced by the music videos I have seen which could contribute into my product having the same professional look. Rather than looking at a whole 3 minute video I have taken snippets of parts that I like and have discussed them beside it but also have taken a few screen shots to try and recreate the scene with my own twists. 



Influences- This video clearly runs with a strong theme throughout and it's influences were The Great Gatsby and then it is obvious to see that all their ideas have run off that. This could be a way that Ruby and I can creatively plan for our music video if we take influence from a theme of something that way we can both come up with more concrete and valued ideas.
Effects- The effect throughout the video also compliment the era the video is supposed to be set in as they have made it look glowing and vintage. I also really like the sillouette look within the music video as you can see the orchestra playing I just think that it's very unique as I have not seen it before. 
Style- What stands out in this music video to me is the very recognizable style of it. The 1920's art deco look is carried out throughout the entire video which co-insides with the movie it was made for- The Great Gatsby. All components of the music video from make up and costumes to genre makes the video it's own and as the audience you can feel that. Although my music video will not have the art deco look I admire the consistency of the video throughout it makes it a really bold piece and if I could get close to that within my music video then it would almost look as if it could exsist within the real world of music videos.




Influences- The approach of a dark story line has really made this music video and achieve nearly 70,000,000 hits on youtube. Although it does not directly co inside with the lyrics it does really compliment them and give them meaning by what the story of the visual images bring to the audience. Despite that this is not the sort of story line I wish to take up this video is a shining example of the relationship which must be developed within the lyrics and visuals to reach out to the audience.
Effects & Style- For some reason I am obsessed with the black and white effect as I think it looks so classy and gives a bold to certain images like her heavy eyes for example. I think this effect will work on my music video although it could destroy the brightness and vibrance of Camden Town and Brick Lane which is something that will contribute to the stylistic look of our music video although this effect could be considered for the ancillary tasks.  




Influences- Chase and Status is one of the most strongest narratives I have ever seen within a music video it also includes performances alongside Delilah. It is one of the most out there videos I have seen which is actually allowed to be shown on youtube. It follows the story of a family where the mother suffers domestic abuse from the father and how it slowly effects them all. The fast past of the music and the shots really creates a strong relationship with the lyrics becoming really emotional attracting the audience even more which is something I would love to create within my own music video- raw emotion. 
Effects- The performance throughout this video is a lot more interesting than most. You can see Delilah singing infront of a window with raining running down it. I think this is a really interesting concept and is a bit more original than someone just singing. Ruby and I have been struggling to come up with a performance setting maybe looking at videos like this will help us come up with a more interesting concept so our music video if put in the real multi media world would appeal more interesting to its audience. 
Style- The style of the music video follows a family on their struggle with an alcoholic father and we watch graphic scenes of the mother suffering abuse. The style follows following the family around its normal surrounding especially of the house but does not have a specific out going style as the narrative is so strong it does not need a outgoing style to make interesting as the power of the plot does that by itself. 

I want my video to look like it could easily be apart of the mass array of professional music videos that are already out their in the industry so to make sure of this I looked at a few of my favourite music videos to develop my own taste and find out what I like to conform to my own style although it would have influenced by others. The music video I have looked will be broken down just to document what I find inspirational as it could be implemented into my own music videos. At the beginning of the course I just began watching tones of music videos and the ones that stick out in my mind are predominantly indie and has a very unique and edgy style yet could be considered simplistic at the same time. The song Ruby and I have chosen screams indie so it would only be practical that I found influence from these videos which I have already looked at to ensure that it would convey to the expectations that a real music video has.

No comments:

Post a Comment